Zap! An Electrical Blog

Electrical Dangers New Dog Owners Should Be Aware Of

When you get a new dog, it's almost like having a baby. You need to child-proof or dog-proof your home. This includes having an electrical contractor remove electrical dangers that can harm your dog.

Damaged or Exposed Wiring

Dogs often chew on wires and may either find a wire that's exposed or chew off the insulation on a wire that's currently in good shape. This creates a significant risk of electric shock or burns to your dog and could possibly even set your home on fire.

Check around your home for any damaged or exposed wiring and contact an electrical contractor if you find one. You may also want to schedule an inspection anyway as an experienced electrical contractor will know where to look for potential problems you might not be aware of. In addition to making repairs, they can also install protective measures such as cord covers or conduits to prevent your dog from accessing the wires and reduce the risk of electrical accidents.

Faulty Outlets and Switches

Loose or malfunctioning outlets and switches can be hazardous, particularly if your dog likes to paw or chew on them. These issues can result in electrical shock or fire hazards.

To ensure your pet's safety, it's important to have an electrical contractor assess the condition of your outlets and switches. They will identify any faults or damages and replace them with new, secure components.

Inadequate Grounding

Proper grounding is essential for electrical safety, as it redirects electrical currents in the event of a fault or surge. If your home lacks sufficient grounding, it can increase the risk of electric shock or damage to appliances. Some shock risks might be in areas that you would never touch but your dog might be able to reach.

An electrical contractor can evaluate the grounding system in your home and make any necessary upgrades or repairs. By ensuring that your electrical system is properly grounded, you minimize the risk of electrical hazards for both your dog and your household.

Overloaded Circuits

Dogs can sometimes knock over lamps or other electrical devices. This might turn the device on or cause it to increase its power potentially overloading your circuits if multiple devices are plugged into the same outlet or circuit.

Overloaded circuits can lead to electrical fires or damage to the electrical system. An electrical contractor can inspect your home to make sure it has the proper electrical capacity for your home's current needs.

Reach out to a local service, such as Royal Plus Electric, Inc, to learn more.